The Ontario Society of Artists will open its 2020 Call for Applications to Membership, open to all professional artists currently living in Ontario, some time in July 2020.
Applications will be evaluated through a membership-wide jury process.
We accept artists working in a wide variety of disciplines including oil, acrylic, charcoal, pencil, pastel, mixed media, fibre arts, photography, digital, sculpture, video and moving images, installation/performance collage, assemblage, other.
Please check back later in July 2020 for information on how to apply.
- Application Deadline: October 7, 2020
- Application Fee: $45.00
- Method of Payment: PayPal on the entry form (Tip: with this method, you can pay by credit card as well).
- Notification: by December 15, 2020
- Notification method: Accepted applicants will be notified by email and invited to join the OSA.
- Annual Membership fees: $125.00, due January 1, 2021.
- The decision of the New Members Selection Committee and the OSA membership is final.
- Fulfillment of Intent
- Inherent Meaning
- Artistry in composition and design
- Excellence and Skill in the chosen medium(s)
- Consistency in subject matter, style and medium
- Professionalism, including the presentation of the application itself.
All applicants are expected to be able to navigate basic digital processes including creating and uploading photographs of their work and properly labelling and submitting work according to the instructions.
The following will be required:
ONE PDF DOCUMENT containing the information below and in order: (We suggest you copy and paste this and fill in the blanks.)
- A list of the 15 works you will be submitting with the following details in this exact format: (Please note that the first five images listed will make up your list of preferred images for the final jurying.)
* Size (the unframed dimensions of your work, height by width, and in inches) and
* Year Completed
- A complete list of all exhibitions, trade shows or other places, websites or publications your work has appeared in over the last five years. The list should be written in order by year, starting with 2020, and then going back through 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016.
- A complete list of social media platforms that display your work, if any. Please include your social media handles.
- A complete list of online sales platforms selling your work, if any. Please include links.
- A statement indicating all professional representation with art agents or art galleries who represent your work anywhere in the world, if any.
- A professional Artist Statement of Intent. Avoid talking about inspiration and focus instead on process and outcome.
- C.V. including educational and relevant work and volunteer background
- Indicate if you are willing to donate volunteer hours to the OSA. If so, suggest whether you would like to help run events or work behind the scenes on the computer. The answers to this question will have no bearing on your application.
FIFTEEN DIGITAL JPG IMAGES of your artwork. Before you upload the images, you must resize and retitle them as follows:
- All images must be saved in .jpg format
- All images files must be a minimum of 1MB but no more than 5MB in size. (A tip for Photoshop users: don’t rely on the file size shown inside the app while the image file is open. Rely instead on the file size shown in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder after the image has been exported and closed. )
- All image files should be labelled as follows: Number_LastName_Title_Medium_Dimensions_YearCompleted.jpg.